Friday, January 7, 2011

John 13:34-35 Love One Another


John 13:34-35  "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.  By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (NASB)

When I was in Jr. High at the little Methodist church in Shafter what I would call “Folk” or “Camp” songs were pretty popular.  One of the songs I recall contained the phrase, “We are one in the Spirit, we are one in the Lord and we know that all unity will one day be restored, and they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love. They’ll know we are Christians by our love”.  Why do I remember that?  Who knows, but I do.  And within this simple folksy tune is some solid truth. 

John records in his gospel the passage I have referenced.  In it lies the Biblical source of the catch phrase in that little ditty.  By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.  So it is this idea of love for one another that I’d like to explore further.

While Scripture gives plenty of examples and instruction concerning care for others, this isn’t one of them.  By that I mean that this passage is confined to the relationship between and among believers.  In other words, how Christians behave with other Christians.  This is the meaning of One another.

In context, this passage comes toward the end of Jesus’ ministry on earth.  In fact, it comes in the same setting as Judas being identified as His betrayer.  It also comes immediately following the scene when Jesus surprises His disciples by washing their feet.  This kindness of washing the disciples’ feet drew a reaction from Peter who challenged Jesus and insisted that he should wash Jesus feet instead.  Peter’s reaction was from his understanding that Jesus was superior; he was inferior.  Jesus insisted though and when He did Peter made another suggestion saying, “Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head” John 13:9  Jesus told him,He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean”. John 13:10

This is typical of Peter and probably typical of us too.  First he wants to do it his way and then he yields but asks of Christ more than He’s offered.  Peter’s reaction will be fodder for another time.  The point I’m trying to get to here is that Jesus, the second person of the Trinity, Creator and Sustainer of all things chooses to serve His disciples by washing their feet.  He explains,You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” John 13:13-15

So when He comes to the passage referred to today it should be considered in context.  The way Jesus showed or demonstrated his love for the disciples was by serving them.  He instructs them to love one another in the same way; by serving one another.  The serving of one another should include the most humbling of ways; the equivalent of washing One another’s feet. John 13:15

The bottom line then is that as Christians we are to follow this example.  We are to serve each other in whatever way necessary, no matter how humbling as the expression of our love.  We should also follow the model of Christ in that He, though superior, served His disciples.  This is one area of Scripture from which we learn the concept of servant leadership.  The leadership of the local church should be first in serving the body, figuratively washing feet at every opportunity. 

And yes, "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment