Monday, April 11, 2022

Romans 5:6-10 Personally, for Me!

Romans 5:6-10 ESV  For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly.  (7)  For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— (8)  but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  (9)  Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.  (10)  For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

Having been a church goer all of my life the story of Easter and particularly the work of Christ on the cross paying the price for my sin (see Romans 6:23) has been engrained thoroughly.  Even as a young child the fact that Jesus died for my sin was centric to my belief.  It would be years later that my understanding deepened.

To say this another way, I was aware and understanding of what was actually accomplished.  Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, me included.  The conditions of accessing this benefit were derived completely on acceptance by faith that it was true.  I did, of course but found that I lumped myself in with the rest of "The whole world" and in that sense seemed to be just a small part of what Jesus did.

It was not until later in life and while studying the Word that a deeper and more significant understanding came my way.  It was more significant in a personal way that is.  I don't remember the exact date or time or whether this was in a group study, a Sunday School class or during my own study that this gem of my faith entered my consciousness.

It is articulated in Scripture in 1 John 2:2 which reads, "He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world." 

Well, there it is - do you see it?

It ends with where my faith had been seated all those years.  Jesus was the propitiation of our sins; He atoned for our transgressions reconciling us to God which had been impossible while still in our sin.

But I had missed the first part.  

The sentence construction is this:  What was done for me, was done for the whole world.  Do you see it now?  Jesus did this thing for me and he also did it for the whole world.  For me!  It was done personally for me.  By inference he would have done the very same had I been the only one!  That's what finally hit me.  My salvation, my reconciliation to Holy God through the work of Jesus Christ, His suffering which he chose to take on my behalf was done personally for me.

Friday we will remember and celebrate what Jesus did for us on the cross; what he did personally for me.

It was done personally for you too!  AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment