Monday, February 28, 2011

Psalm 73:24-26 Eternal Perspective

Psalm 73:24-26  “With Your counsel You will guide me, And afterward receive me to glory.  Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.  My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever”. (NASB)

This Psalm begins with a decree of what we see day in and day out.  It begins with the observation that evil people seem to be getting away with it.  Asaph the author confesses that he almost slipped into this envy of the evil man that we discussed a few days ago.  He observes that the wicked man was wealthy and admits he was envious.

But as he comes to his senses he declares all the calamity that is in store for the evil man.  He in essence says that although it appears they are getting away with it that he knows the truth.  He knows the evil man will receive judgment; it won’t be pretty.

And then he confesses he also knows that although for a time it seems the reward is going to the evil man that the table will turn.  He knows the truth.  He knows his reward is in heaven.  This brings us to the passage we’ve shared today.

He says that, “With your counsel You will guide me”.  So Asaph is relying on God as counselor.  That is for guidance through this life he is looking to God.  He is yielding to the Lord’s leading not following his natural tendencies which were in fact to envy the evil man.  He says that once his life is complete, having followed the Lord’s counsel, he would go to heaven; “And afterward receive me to glory”.  And the Psalm goes on to reveal what would be found there.  “Whom have I in heaven but You”?  This is an acknowledgement that God is in heaven.  Don’t be confused that the verse is saying God and God alone will greet Asaph in heaven.  What it is saying is that in comparison to God’s presence and relationship in heaven, none other can compare.  I believe Scriptures clearly pictures us together in heaven in worship of the Lord together.  So this passage is stating the significance of the relationship with the Lord in comparison to all others.  None other counts in comparison.

Asaph comes back to earth and this present life as he makes a similar declaration.  He declares, “And besides You, I desire nothing on earth”.  The supremecy of Asaph’s relationship with the Lord renders anything else insignificant.  Again, by comparison he has no other wants.  Only his relationship with God is his desire.

Then he wraps it all up with a proper perspective.  He compares the temporal with the eternal.  “My flesh and my heart may fail”.  He admits this life will end with death.  The body will eventually give out and his heart will stop.  He will die.  But he continues with the eternal view.  “But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever”.  Eternally, God will provide strength to his heart and his reward will be forever, not temporary. 

So what does this mean for us?  It is a fair challenge for us to keep this life in perspective.  We’re not to get caught up in seeking after the things of this earth.  Our investment should be in eternity and for that we need to rely on God.  We shouldn’t be envious of those that seem to have it all on earth whether through legitimate or evil means.  Regardless, God’s plan is an eternal one and our relationship with Him in heaven will put everything else to shame.  Everything else!

Scripture says it; I’ll try to live it.  Do you believe it?  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment