Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Romans 8:14-16 Assurance

Romans 8:14-16  “For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.  For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"  The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God”, (NASB)

So, how do I know?

How do I know what, you ask.  How do I know I’m a Christian?  How do I know I’m saved?  How do I know I really believe?  How, How, How do I know?

I had grown up in a little Methodist church and as I have shared before I believe I grew up in the faith and had a genuine saving faith.  I call my experience a “Child like faith” because I actually was a child and my faith was unwavering.  I absolutely believed it was just as I learned in Sunday school.  With that being said, I cannot to this day point to a single time when the simple truth of the gospel was presented completely and with clarity in all that time.

As a maturing Christian looking back I can only point to an experience when I wanted to take communion and my mother wouldn’t let me.  When we went home I wanted to know why.  She said I had to know what it meant so I told her exactly what it meant.  From then on I was allowed to take communion.  That’s it – that’s all I have to point to as a time when I knew my faith was genuine.  Or was it?

I certainly went through my prodigal years but always seemed to come back to the Church.  When our relationship became serious, Sharon and I began attending her church on Sunday mornings.  

WOW!

I hadn’t experienced a Baptist church service regularly.  The pastor nearly every week offered an invitation for new believers to come forward and proclaim their faith.  Every week I heard this new concise version of the gospel accompanied by the invitation to come forward.  Every week I sat there and wondered – am I supposed to go forward?  I never did – but I sure wondered whether I was supposed to.

When Sharon and I became engaged we went to meet with the pastor and asked him to marry us.  He looked me in the eye and said, “Young man, are you a Christian”?  I looked right back at him and said, “Yes sir, I am”.  That was good enough for him and we got moving forward on setting a date and all the rest.  It was only later during an adult Sunday school class that the idea of eternal security was presented and my confusion was alleviated.

Well, I have to tell you my confusion was caused by the unfamiliarity of the experience of that firey Baptist service and invitation.  Before and after there was never a doubt about my faith.  I knew it was real.

How did I know?

Upon genuine acceptance of the work of Christ by Faith the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the believer.  This is the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Literally, God comes to live in the believer upon conversion and He has an ongoing role to play in the believer’s life.  One of His efforts is referenced in today’s passage.  “The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God”.

So, how did I know?  I knew my faith was real because the Holy Spirit Himself in communion with my spirit told me so.  How does that work?  I don’t know – I can’t begin to explain but I know it is true because Scripture says so and my experience is in full agreement.  I know because He makes it known to me – somehow.

Praise God that as believers we don’t have to wonder.  AMEN!

If you are not certain of your position in Christ; whether you really are a Christian I would be happy to talk with you about faith in Christ leading to that assurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment