Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Psalm 1:3 Planted and Watered

Psalm 1:3  “He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers.” (NASB)

The first Psalm has only six verses but is rich in truth.  Verse one says we should stay away from bad influence in the form of wicked men, sinners and scoffers.

Verse two gives the counterpoint which is in fact to spend time with the LORD through continuous meditation on His Word.

Verse three gives the result.  When we stay away from bad influences but draw close to God through his Word something wonderful happens.  It says we, “Will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water”. 

Sharon and I were given a number of trees left over from a non-profit project.  We received both fig and pomegranate trees, just babies.  I dutifully planted them all but I had an extra fig tree.  I gave that to my folks and they were happy to add it to their collection.  The pomegranates I put all in a row and set up a hose to deliver water regularly on a timer.  They grew amazingly well and in just their second year produced lots of fruit.

My fig trees didn’t fare as well.  It wasn’t convenient to set up an irrigation system on the figs so I was watering them by hand with a garden hose when I thought about it.  Needless to say, I got busy and was not real regular in watering the figs.  All but one of those trees died but the last one rewarded us this year with a few figs which we enjoyed.  A few weeks back I was over at my dad’s house and saw the “Sister” tree.  Wow!  My dad’s tree was about twice the size of mine and had more fruit than I could count.  Dad had diligently provided water to his fig tree and it produced loads of fruit.

So we’re like trees in relationship to water when it comes to our spiritual life.  Spending time with God through his Word is essential to life.  With it we become rooted and grow strong in our faith and produce spiritual fruit.

Verse six sums it up, “For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish.”  Psalm 1:6 

Open your Bible – draw close to God – sink those roots down deep.  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment