Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Romans 5:18-19 Willing Spirit, Weak Flesh

Romans 5:18-19  “So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.  For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous.” (NASB)

Do you ever wonder “Why” you do the things you do?  Do you think, “That was really bad; that’s not the way I want to behave”.  The conviction occurs nearly simultaneously with the act.  You’re not alone.

Just last week shortly after posting one of my devotionals my wife Sharon accusingly said I hadn’t done something I had agreed to do.  I didn’t think it was anything we had ever even discussed before.  My response was quick and harsh and I used language I shouldn’t have used.  She of course wasn’t happy about that and told me so.  I just shut up being convicted by both her response and the Holy Spirit letting me know that I’d blown it.

Where did all that come from?  I love Jesus, I try to live a life that honors Him in my behavior and yet I screwed up.

Paul wrote to the Romans about this explaining in Chapter 5 verse 18 that all men are sinners because of the, “One transgression”.  He’s referring to the original sin of Adam in the garden.  That sin resulted in the imputation of sin to all men.  So as descendents of Adam we are all sinners.

But Paul also shares that, “As through one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners” that, “Through the obedience of One the many will be made righteous”.  The One of course is Jesus Christ and this being made righteous is the result of his work on the cross imputed to those who believe by faith.

So why do believers still sin?  Chapter 7 of Romans holds Paul’s answer.  There is in fact a war that rages in the believer between flesh and spirit.  Paul says, “But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.  I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.” Romans 7:20-21  Christ is quoted in Mathew’s gospel, "Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Mat 26:41 

So the bottom line is we sin in our weak moments because sin is in our flesh, our damaged DNA.  Even as believers saved by grace we sin.  The response when we do though should be different.  We should understand by the conviction of the Holy Spirit that we have sinned then deal with it.  We do this by confession of the sin and making the decision not to sin in that way again (repentance). 

One day our sinful flesh will be replaced with a perfect sin free body built for eternity.  That discussion we’ll save for another day.  AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment